Pathways to Mindful Wisdom
Inner Selves Consciousness is a self-compassion process that provides an opportunity for the client to develop inner balance, aware ego and self-compassion. Its ultimate goal is to expand the client’s awareness of inner resources, strengthen inner alignment to create conscious choice in life’s decision- making.
Voice Dialogue, Inner Selves, that was created by Drs. Hal and Sidra Stone in the 1970s. Inner Selves facilitation is a profound consciousness awakening process that brings real-time awareness to the many parts or Selves that make up what we identify as our personality.
We often refer to parts or Inner Selves in our everyday language when we say “A part of me feels/wants —-“
Each Inner Self is a unique, dynamic aspect of our psyche that has his/her own personality, interests, thoughts, feelings, opinions and energies. An Inner Self is born in response to life experiences, family dynamics and the developmental environment.
These Selves exist whether we are conscious of them or not.
The Inner Selves that we know about collectively make up our personality and are the face we present to the world. The ones we have little or no awareness of can be the source of reactive behaviours that need containment or they can be hiding talents and gifts that may offer new perspectives of possibility. These unknown parts of us have an equal and opposite presence in our makeup.
Inner Selves can include the following and their opposites.
- The Pusher and the Carefree Self
- The Caretaker and the Self – Nurturer
- The Perfectionist and the Imperfect Self
- The Rule Maker and the Rebel
- The Dependent and the Independent Self
- The Addict and the Disciplined Self
- The Inner Patriarch and the Inner Matriarch
- The Critic and the Inner Teacher
- The Inner Parent and the Inner Child
One of the main focuses of Inner Selves facilitation is to connect with the “aware ego”. This can provide the capability to separate from inner parts of the personality that may be obstructing the ability to make good choices. The separation provides a detached vantage point from which to assess life situations and choose what resources are needed to address the issue.
By having access to all of these Selves, the client can learn to:
- become the director of their inner resources
- be the observer of their actions and reactions
- shift their consciousness to a more aware state
- make more choiceful decisions
- develop the ability to nurture and enjoy greater intimacy and authenticity in personal relationships.
- develop practical tools that can encourage effective inner and interpersonal communication
- discover the capability that can give rise to choosing actions rather than reacting to old patterns of behaviour
- reveal the hidden parts of you that can support you now.
- find the language that can express and explore the experiences, feelings and beliefs of Selves without judgment or threat.
As Inner Selves are brought to consciousness, they can become the source of greater self-knowledge, compassion and understanding. This can give clients the capability and inner resources to operate in their lives with more balance, empowerment and awareness.
©Lorena Colarusso Alchemy Pathways Please contact Lorena Colarusso for permission to use articles and information on this website.